Eating for 3: You & Your Eyes
You’re likely familiar with that old adage: “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” What this essentially means is that it’s easier to prevent something from happening than it is from stopping it once it’s started.
Nutrition for Ocular Health
Nutrients that benefit eye health include:
- Lutein & Zeaxanthin – has been shown to reduce the risk of developing new cataracts and chronic eye diseases. Good sources of these nutrients include dark leafy greens, broccoli, corn, peas, persimmons, and tangerines.
- Vitamin C – shown to lower the risk of cataracts and slow the progression of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) when taken with other nutrients. Foods high in Vitamin C include oranges, grapefruit, strawberries, papaya, green peppers, and tomatoes.
- Vitamin E – is important for protecting the cells in our eyes against free radicals (unstable atoms that can damage healthy cells, causing illness and aging). You can find Vitamin E in vegetable oils, nuts, wheat germ, and sweet potatoes.
- Omega-3 fatty acids – can aid in proper visual development from a young age and is important for retinal function. Omega-3 fatty acids have also been shown to alleviate dry eye symptoms by reducing inflammation and enhancing tear production. Foods rich in Omega-3 fatty acids include salmon, tuna, and other cold-water fish, or you can find Omega-3 supplements on our online store.
- Zinc – helps bring Vitamin A from the liver to the retina. This process is important in order to produce a protective pigment in the eyes called melanin. Zinc has been shown to protect against cataracts, impaired vision, and poor night vision. You can find it in red meat, oysters, shellfish, nuts and seeds.
Eye-friendly foods include:
- Vegetables & fruits like kale, spinach, orange peppers, kiwi, & berries contain many eye-friendly nutrients.
- Salmon, trout, & tuna can help protect against certain eye diseases.
- Nuts, seeds, & lean meats can contribute vitamins & nutrients important to ocular health.
You can find our office at 802 Main Street East, Unit #7, in Shelburne, Ontario. We’re located in the strip mall off Dufferin Road 124 and Highway 10, beside the Tim Hortons.
- 802 Main Street East, Unit #7
- Shelburne, ON L9V 2Z5
- Monday: 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Tuesday: 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Wednesday: 10:00 AM – 6:00 PM
- Thursday: 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM
- Friday: 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM
- Saturday: 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
- Sunday: Closed